Recent Posts

Friday 3 March 2017

3D printed G-Scale outhouse

A few weeks back I've presented my opinion on the Piko 62262 fishing cabin set. One thing I was disappointed about was the lack of accessories that could have made the product so much more attractive. Luckily I have now my own 3D printer and I'm able to correct PIKO's mistake by creating the missing elements myself. And here's the first one - a wooden outhouse.


Where did it come from? Obviously from the thriving community of 3D designers on Thingiverse!

I took an existing project published by another user (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1644652) and modified it to my needs. The model has been scaled, some elements have been corrected, and a stone base has been added. Once the G-Scale sized set was complete, I've posted it as my own "remix" under this link: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2146230


The project prints out as six elements. I've used different colors right away, but I guess I could have printed it in white and painted later as well. Most of the parts feature a wooden texture and pose a significant challenge for the printer. It took over 20 hours to yield all of those:


Then it's just gluing. I've used a regular plastic cement and the parts fit almost perfectly. Small pieces of filament can be used as pins for the hinges which allow the door to open and close as needed.


Easy peasy. Next comes the boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment