Recent Posts

Tuesday 13 December 2016

Piko 62262, G-Scale fishing cabin

The water pond on my garden layout was always supposed to look alive. I was even considering having some real fishes there but... they turn out to require a pretty deep container. Then I tried growing some water flora but... everything I planted died within a month. OK, so how about something easier? Maybe just a plastic water-themed building?

The model I found for this purpose is Piko 62262. It replicates a small fisherman's house built upon a jetty. The front cover of the box shows a very nice scene with a lake, boats and even a small outhouse in the background. If I was able to achieve this look, it would be really great!


As usual, everything is very nicely packaged. None of the pieces got damaged in the transport. Surprise, surprise - the glue is included!


So many similar looking parts. I guess this must be the platform and the support elements. Looks like a lot of repetitive work for me.


And here are the building pieces. Yes, it is really going to be that small. But that's OK, it's exactly what I was expecting.


Are those all the parts? No boats? No outhouse? No accessories?

The manual explains it all. Yes, the set is just the building and the platform. No other structures are included, so I'm not getting the front cover scene look that easily (or cheaply).


The extra elements included with the set are:
  • a lot of colorful stickers
  • white plastic base for the stickers
  • transparent film a.k.a. window glass
  • two tubes of plastic cement


Let's start the build. The pier is made of three identical rectangular platforms. Several "planks" join the elements together and it makes a solid impression overall.


The "wooden" fence is the next step of the build. It will be installed on top of the jetty. 


The two parts are now connected together. It's starting to look interesting!


It's time to take care of the small house. There's not much to do here. Just four windows (transparent film) and a door.


Once the roof is installed on the top, the building is complete. The door open to the outside and they are protected from "falling inside".


The complete model. The pier, the fisherman's cabin and the stair.


The only remaining element are the stickers. I have to say I'm not convinced they fit this model all that well. But let's try to add some of them anyway. I'm aiming for a "neglected look", so I'll try to install the decorations like I didn't really care...

Here's the final result:


Summary


I have to admit the model is rather simple, and the building part is really small but it's also very original and eye-catching. It should fit the water scene I'm creating very well and I'd love to try it already. This will have to wait till spring unfortunately...

I'm still not convinced about the stickers - they're just too colorful and I consider them disturbing. Hopefully they'll look better after they get some natural weathering. So I'm keeping them for now.

If there's anything I'm disappointed about it's the complete lack of accessories. I didn't really expect to get everything shown on the box but at least one boat and some fishing equipment would be very nice. The boat is actually available as a separate product Piko 62283 but it's priced at 24 Eur which is "a little" too expensive for my taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment