Recent Posts

Friday 24 March 2017

Pola G 331019, G-Scale detached house

One of my priorities for this year's garden season is to establish a small town on my G-scale layout. I obviously need houses for that. I'm not yet sure how many I require, so I'm just starting with one. Once I install it, I will have a better idea about what exactly I want to add next...

The model I went for this time is Pola G 331019. It's the cheapest of the "big houses" available on the market. It does not mean it's cheap at all, so I won't be revealing the price here in case my wife reads the blog.

It comes in a pretty big and very heavy box...


It weights over 5kg (11lbs). It's probably the heaviest single model product I've ever bought. Let's hope this weight translates into quality.

Opening the package reveals the usual content. The largest parts reside at the very bottom while the more fragile ones are delivered in smaller inner boxes. Glue is not included.


Here's the content of the outer box. Roof parts, some wall parts and the decorations.


I'm starting to understand where the weight comes from. The biggest elements are as thick as my finger.


And here's the content of the inner box #1...


and #2.


This looks like a lot of parts. I think I'm going to enjoy that!

The manual is 8 pages long. It's very detailed and clear. All the parts are numbered, too.


The build follows the usual pattern. First - the walls...


...which, when connected, form the base structure.


Then - the roof sides which need separate preparation...


...and make the raw building complete once installed.


As soon as the details are added, the house is finished. I took it slowly and enjoyed it for five evenings. But if your were in a hurry, you could probably build it in a day (reserving some time to allow the glue to make a strong bond).


Let's see it from various angles:


It looks good. I'm not a fan of this particular house design, but I have to admit the model looks realistic and nice overall. The bay window is an interesting idea and it makes the model stand out.

The door of the house open and close (but it doesn't fall inside) and so do the shutters on the upper floor. The bench is an appreciated extra piece but the fence does not really make sense at all. It would be useful if there was enough to encircle the house, but there isn't.

The model definitely makes an impression of a sturdy item. The 5kg of plastic feels like it will last. There are also barely any fragile details which I personally consider a very good solution!

It's time for the interior lighting test. I'm using my own LED-based solution here. Let there be light!


That's a nasty surprise. The model leaks light in several places. Additionally the white door looks like it's semi-transparent. I did not expect that kind of problems at this price level.

Small leaks can be patched with remaining plastic parts coming from the set. But there were two larger areas where I had to use an element from another model and a 3D printed rectangle 9 by 11cm in size.


Let's repeat the test. Yes, the leaks are gone. With one exception - the very bright looking front door.


I've enjoyed assembling the set a lot. And I also think the final result is very promising. It looks good and definitely feels fit for outside exposure. One disappointment is the need to fix some of the thinner walls to keep the light inside. It was easy to do but honestly - this should not be needed in cases of the more expensive models at all. Other than that - I'm very happy with the product and can't wait to allow the first settlers to establish my town :)

No comments:

Post a Comment