Recent Posts

Saturday 6 August 2016

An idea for making G-scale streets

A part of my new garden layout is supposed to be a "town area". And obviously a town cannot exist without streets. I was looking at different ways to make those and finally decided I wanted them to look modern and asphalt-like. This is what I got...


So how did I make them? The best material I found so far are composite decking boards. The ones I bought are 14 x 350 cm and they sell at 15 Euro per piece. The top side of the boards features grooves which are an issue.


But the bottom side is completely flat and that is the one I use.


The boards are too narrow to form a G-scale road. That's why I always cut two pieces of the same length.


Then I connect them using glue and screws. And of course I use the side with grooves to make the connection, so that the flat side is not affected.


Once the connection is solid, I turn the element upside down and attach pieces of a masking tape to define the areas that need painting.


The paint I use is a white mat spray paint. It's declared fit for outdoor use, so I expect it to work well in my case.


I spray it all over the boards. Several thin layers are needed for good result.


Once the masking tape is removed, the road piece is ready. I have to say it looks pretty convincing considering how easy it is to make.


Of course several pieces can be used together to form the town streets. It's always just a matter of painting a proper pattern.


The gaps between the elements are of some concern to me. I'm yet to find a way to get rid of them. Perhaps I need to connect the road pieces together somehow. I'll definitely post an update as soon as I manage to improve my method.

1 comment:

  1. Great looking road. Our outdoor G scale garden needs a winding road through it. Any suggestions on the best way to do this.

    ReplyDelete