Recent Posts

Saturday 30 July 2016

Schleich flora accessories

Schleich is a company well known for high quality action figures of animals and people. Additonally they manufacture a rather small selection of accessories which also include some flora models. And it so happens that many of their products fit the G scale layouts very nicely. I've decided to give some of them a go...


The decision was inspired by a photo posted on one of the Facebook groups. It shows a very nice layout with some very interesting trees. Those trees were made by Schleich...


Unfortunately those particular models are not on the offer right now. They're retired and can only be bought on Ebay at some very high price points. I wasn't ready for this kind of investment so instead I focused on what is available now. That's how I got: an agave, a fern and a palm tree.


Each of those is sold at around 3-4 Euros. Let's take a look at them.

Schleich 42243 - Agave


The model comes in 5 parts. The build takes 5 seconds and requires pushing each of the elements into the next one. Everything fits perfectly...


This is what it looks like next to a Bachmann G-Scale person model. It looks quite nice and the size is about right.


Schleich 42244 - Fern


The fern consists of only 4 elements. The build is as easy as in the case of the agave.


It looks pretty big next to a G-scale figure but I think it's correct. It's supposed to be a model of a tropical plant and those can grow quite big. The model looks really nice. The details of the leaves are top notch.


Schleich 42248 - Palm tree


The last one I bought is a palm tree. The content of the box is a surprise. The palm tree turns out to be a fern with a trunk. Well, I guess it makes sense...


The palm tree looks really nice but it could be a little larger. Or in other words - it would look just fine if there were some other taller trees around it, too. But again - the quality of the model is really good.


Summary


Three models, 3 Euros each and my Bachmann guy became the king of the jungle :)


On a more serious note. I like the Schleich flora accessories a lot. Just like their animal figures, those products look really good and feel like high quality items. Of course I wish the selection was much, much wider.

I will probably use the palm trees and ferns to create some tropical area on my layout but I really wish I could buy some European plants, too. And I also wonder how they will do outdoors, but looking at their quality I do have high hopes.

No comments:

Post a Comment