Recent Posts

Sunday 12 June 2016

How to get "warm white" garden solar lamps

Garden solar lamps are available in many sizes and shapes. It so happens, that the cheapest of them look more-or-less like G-scale sized street lamps. They're not really that beautiful but considering their price it would be a sin not to use them on your layout... At least until you can afford something better...


So they're less than $1 per piece and they work pretty well. Unfortunately I could not find them in "warm white" flavour. At first I thought I was fine with "cold white" but once I saw them on the layout I couldn't stand the colour and I knew I had to do something about this.


So let's try to turn the "cold" solar lamps into "warm" ones...

Opening the housing reveals a very simple electrical circuit. The LED we want to exchange is clearly visible. It almost feels like it's meant to be replaced.


Unsoldering the element takes 5 seconds. No special equipment or skills are required.


The "warm" LEDs can be ordered on Ebay or anywhere else. I got a bag of 100 of those for less than $3 with free international shipping from China.


Soldering the new LED takes another 5 seconds. Again - no special skills required, just remember that the polarity matters (test before soldering).


And voilĂ  - the first upgraded solar lamp with "warm white" light is ready. Only four more to go and I can start working on the platform for my train station :)


No comments:

Post a Comment