Recent Posts

Sunday 25 June 2017

Building a tunnel for my garden layout - step one

My garden layout is 100% flat. This is partly by choice but mostly due to its small size which does not allow any real elevation for the track. I wanted to introduce some variety to the landscape and decided to build a mountain with a tunnel going through it.

In my first attempt I went for a wooden structure. It did not look bad at first and I seemed to have a pretty good plan on how to turn it into something interesting.


Unfortunately the walls made of planks did not take the winter very well. It was mostly my fault and I know I could have done a better job building the tunnel. But it still proved wood might not have been the best choice for creating a hill.


So I tore it down and decided to try something more ambitious. My choice this time were lighweight concrete blocks. With absolutely no bricklaying experience it was a challenge and my first prototype fell apart immediately. But on the second try I've actually managed to build something.


Once I added a roof the simple rectangular structure became a tunnel. And it felt like a solid one!


It's of course far, far from being what I really want to achieve. But it seems like a reasonable start. With some reshaping and some extra elements like:
  • a tunnel entrance
  • an artifcial grass
  • rocks covered sides
  • a chapel building on top
  • etc.
it might actually look nice in the future. I believe I have a plan. Let's see where it takes me...

No comments:

Post a Comment