Recent Posts

Sunday 20 March 2016

G-Scale rolling road from Brahmer Modellbau

I've had the desire to own a test rolling road ever since I started this blog. Such accessory is not only useful when working with your trains but also when shooting videos for YouTube. And here it is - now I have one.

I've decided to go for a solution from a company I've never heard about. They're called Brahmer Modellbau and I think they sell exclusively on Ebay. The package I ordered arrived very quickly without any special packaging - just in a sturdy cardboard box.


The interesting fact here is that every element of the rolling road can be purchased separately. That's the main reason why I considered this offer interesting. For a start I've decided to buy just enough for my current PIKO BR80 locomotive with an option to extend the set in the future. And so I picked these three parts.


The most important element is the rolling block itself. I've bought two of those. They look pretty solid. The fact that rollers seem to be attached to the base with just some screws is a little worrying but the element gives a very reassuring feeling when held in hand.


The other part is a support block. Those are available in two sizes - a short one and a long one. For now my setup requires just a short block to allow contact for the locomotive's power pick ups. This part is also built with screws but it looks pretty good to me.


And here's what the set looks like when placed on the track. It fits nicely and is very stable. Nothing really to complain about.


Alright. Let's see it in action:


It seems to work just fine. Two facts however can be seen in the movie:
  • The locomotive is quite shaky at full speed. I don't see any risk here however. The entire setup seems stable and safe.
  • Not all the rollers take part in action. I must have not placed the locomotive perfectly and it presses harder against some elements than against the others. This seems fine though.

Conclusion

The rolling road from a little known company looks perfectly fine to me. I will be buying more elements in the future to make my set more universal. I might even go for an N-scale version, since that is also offered in their catalogue. Price aside (as it's not cheap) can't find any reason not to recommend the product!

No comments:

Post a Comment