Recent Posts

Thursday 6 September 2018

Piko 38835, G-scale Santa Fe covered hopper car

I'm trying to grow my collection of trains without spending a fortune. I can't really say I'm very successful at that, but I definitely wait for good moments before making new purchases. That's how I got a new American freight car, which - by the way - is a twin brother of a model I reviewed previously. Piko 38835 is almost the same as Piko 38847, so in this article I'll focus only on the differences and new findings.


The main distinction between the two products is of course the livery. Previously I got a Southern Pacific version, and this here is Santa Fe. That implies these two should not really go on one train, but I think I'll just ignore this fact.


When I was opening my first Piko hopper car, I've encountered some issues with unfolding the cardboard frame. To my surprise, this time there was no issue at all, even though the packaging is identical.


Since it got out so easily, let's take a loot at some photos.


It is definitely the very same piece of rolling stock as Piko 38847. The logos and labels are of course different, but everything else is a perfect match. The small size, the shortage of sophisticated details, the lack of interactive features, the solid feel - it's all still here.

I have noticed however something new. As it turns out, the roof can be removed on this model and it can be transformed into an open hopper car. That's actually pretty cool and it definitely adds some value. It is however not specific to Piko 38835, as the twin product also offers this functionality and I have simply failed to notice it before.


The two cars look pretty good together. Perhaps those models are indeed a good and cheap way to assemble a longer American freight train? We will see if the future "special offers" take me into this direction :)

Piko 38835 and Piko 38847

1 comment:

  1. In American freight trains, cars from multiple railroads are frequently carried together. Solid unit trains of single-railroad cars are usually only for specific types of trains (refridgerated boxcars is one example). These types of shorty covered hoppers would always be blended.

    ReplyDelete