Recent Posts

Wednesday 20 June 2018

Liliput 95988, G-scale "Porter" beer car

I usually start my review with a photo of the product still in its packaging. This way I try to keep things in chronological order. But not this time. This time I'm kicking off with a photo taken outside in natural light. There are two reasons for that...

Reason #1 - the freight car I will be describing is a dark one. It's not completely black, it's a little on the blueish side. But it's definitely dark enough to make the process of taking good photos much more difficult. So the one below is probably the best picture in this entire blog post.

liliput / bachmann g scale beer car

Reason #2 - the product arrived completely covered by its packaging. You can't really see anything interesting just by looking at the box. This makes the below picture pretty much pointless.


The lid however comes off easily. And... turns out the car was packaged upside down :)


Alright, but let's focus on the important facts. The item I will be reviewing is Liliput 95988 and it's a beer car in G-scale. I got it for less than 50€ from the MSL store. I'm not a big fan of rolling stock in boring colors, but the price was too tempting. And here it is!


The product is well protected inside the box. There's a transparent plastic cover on the front side, and it keeps the car stable and away from any external dangers.


The content of the set is really not that much. The car comes without any couplers installed, and we get two sets to choose from: LGB-style and knuckle ones.


I'm of course going for European couplers. The installation takes less than 10 minutes. A manual is included inside the bag, if anyone needs it.


Let's take a look at the model...

porter freight car

Looks good. What caught my attention are of course the metal wheels. These are really great and they make the car roll really nicely. Much, much better than the plastic sets used by other manufacturers. Big plus for Liliput for using those!

metal wheels

The model features a lot of separately applied details. Handrails and ladders all around. They are very noticeable compared to other product which often offer only molded "bumps" that are supposed to look like iron bars.


A very nice feature are the operable doors. They not only open and close, but the door handle is a functional piece, too. Yes, we can actually lock the door. It's so cool!


An even bigger surprise are the hatches on the car's roof. There are four of those and they can all be operated. They open and close easily. I love this kind of details!


The model is very dark - almost black - which I personally do not like at all. But I have to admit the logos look really nice on this kind of a background. Everything is sharp and flawless.


Can't find anything to complain about. My purchase looks really good!


I have to say I'm very impressed with the model. For less than 50€ I got a freight car with a lot of details, many operable parts and metal wheels. That was one of the best deals I've ever made. Can't wait to see what the next "sale offer" at the MSL store will be :)

No comments:

Post a Comment