Recent Posts

Sunday 20 May 2018

3D printed G-scale traffic signs

I love adding details to my garden layout. I have a long backlog of items which should - at some point - become part of my miniature world. But my time is of course limited, so I have to take it slowly, step by step...

I'm now in the process of adding traffic signs to my little town. This should make my roads much more life-like. The signs will definitely add colors and detail to the urban landscape. And of course they should decrease the number of road accidents my G-scale minions cause every day, too :)

g scale layout with a traffic sign

The idea started with the single railway sign visible below. The plastic plate and the post are just spare parts I had left from one of the building kits. I did not know what to do with them, so I printed a sticker and applied it to the element. I was very surprised to see, that this combination had proven to be very weather resistant. The model kept its good appearance even after staying outside for almost two years.


And so I decided to print some traffic signs. I used the same synthetic non-paper self-adhesive sheets as before. These are made by a Czech company called Rayfilm. They're not completely UV resistant and their colors fade when continuously exposed to the sun. But they can definitely survive rain, snow and a wide range of temperatures.

traffic sign stickers

In the next step I designed a collection of 3D models. That was very easy to do, since the traffic signs consist of cylinders, rectangles and triangles only. My previous experience with the Blender software allowed me to finish the work in just one evening.


My Anet 3D printer was used for production of the actual physical parts. Here's the very first sample I created. Since the model was simple, the printing process was a breeze.


The collection shown below took an entire day to manufacture. But that is actually all I need for my not-so-large layout.

3d printed road signs

Once I added the stickers, the signs turned beautiful right away. I fell in love with them at first sight.

g scale traffic signs

Now even the first-time G-scale visitors know very well they need to reduce the speed when entering the town limits. That is assuming they pay attention to the signs, and not to the sexy hitchhiker across the street.


In the spirit of sharing, I have released my models into the Thingiverse repository. Feel free to give them a try: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2909330. If you're missing any particular sign type, please do let me know, as I might be able to create an extra piece pretty easily.

1 comment:


  1. You have discussed an interesting topic that everybody should know. Very well explained with examples. I have found a similar
    websitesign printing visit the site to know more about sinking.

    ReplyDelete