Recent Posts

Thursday 7 April 2016

G-Scale DCC setup with Uhlenbrock Power 8 booster

My plan for this year is to really grow my G-Scale layout. I'm talking here longer track, more trains, switches with remote control, etc. This is not only going to cost, it's also going to need more power. And power is something my present DCC system cannot provide.

At the same time I really like my current digital stations. Both Multimaus and the Z21 are great kits and they proved to be fully compatible with large scale trains. I required a solution that would address all my needs and I found one in the forums at G Scale Central.

It's called Power 8 and it's manufactured by a German company by the name of Uhlenbrock. It's a signal booster that is not dedicated to any specific DCC system. Instead it accepts a DCC signal that would normally be provided to the track and increases its power to deliver up to 8 Amperes of electrical current.

I bought the booster from MSL at a price of 150 €. What I got is a rather small device with a huge radiator. The manual is fully in German, but luckily an English one is available on-line. The gadget makes a solid first impression:


So my plan was to use it with Roco/Fleischmann systems. The information I found in the forums indicated full compatibility. But of course I could not be sure until I tried it myself. And so the testing has started...

Setup #1 - Uhlenbrock Power 8 with Fleischmann Multimaus


This setup consists of the following elements:
  • Fleischmann Multimaus controller
  • Fleischmann 680801 DCC station
  • Uhlenbrock Power 8 booster
  • 16V 150VA transformer
The configuration is connected as shown in the below diagram:


The important points are:
  • usage of the C and D inputs on the Power 8 booster
  • proper jumper settings in the Power 8 booster
Test result: works without any issues. As soon as the setup is powered, the Multimaus switches on. Green LED on the Power 8 indicates valid operation. A few seconds later the DCC signal appears on the track and the layout is ready for operation.

Setup #2 - Uhlenbrock Power 8 with Roco z21


This setup is very similar to setup #1. The elements used include:
  • Roco z21 DCC station
  • Network router (not shown)
  • Android tablet with z21 application
  • Uhlenbrock Power 8 booster
  • 16V 150VA transformer
 The connection is also very similar to the previous setup:


Test result: works without any issues. And just like with the Multimaus configuration, all devices report valid statuses and the track becomes powered within a few seconds.

Summary

It would seem the information found in the forums was fully accurate. The Uhlenbrock Power 8 booster is compatible with both Roco/Fleischmann systems. I'm very happy about that. Not only it's a relatively cheap option to upgrade a DCC setup for more power, but it also allows me to continue using controllers I'm already familiar with. Seems like I'm ready for this year's G-Scale season.

I've also captured a video showing my test procedure and results. Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. May I ask on the Z21 configuration which output do you take? Booster-Bus output or the two wire green socket output?

    ReplyDelete