Recent Posts

Thursday 21 January 2016

Piko 37942, G-Scale gondola car

Following the review of my first holiday gift, here's a quick look at the second G-scale freight car I found under my Christmas tree. This time it's PIKO 37942: a small gondola car.


As expected the car comes in a strong box featuring design typical for the PIKO G-scale products. The box measures 22 x 9 x 6 inches in size and its window offers a very clear view of what's inside.


The content of the box is very simple. We get the car itself and a set of narrow gauge buffers. I'm not a fan of those, so I won't be installing them.


There are two more things inside the box but they're hidden way at the bottom. There's a small assembly/disassembly diagram for the car's replaceable parts and a PIKO G scale track brochure.


Here's the car straight out of the box. Ready to run!


The car is made of quality plastic and feels sturdy. I would not be afraid to allow my children to operate it. I'm not going it to crash test it here but my feeling is it would not get damaged if dropped on grass or dirt. I definitely like the solid feeling.

The bottom of the car offers some details but I would call those the necessary minimum. It looks however pretty good and has the advantage of not featuring parts that require careful handling.


The wheels are all plastic. I would prefer them to be metal of course, but I guess all PIKO cars in this price range offer only plastic sets. They can of course be upgraded at an extra cost.


And that's basically it. There's nothing more that needs to be covered about this car. Let's take a look at some photos and evaluate its look.


Summary

How would I rate this car? Well, it's definitely simple but I did not really expect more at this price point. It looks very good in my opinion and is exactly what I would expect from a basic G scale rolling stock. It features a good amount of details and has the advantage of feeling pretty sturdy which is critical for someone with kids.

Cons:
  • plastic wheels
Pros:
  • sturdy feeling
  • nice look with fair amount of detail
  • very reasonable price

No comments:

Post a Comment