Recent Posts

Tuesday 29 December 2015

Pola G 331745, G-Scale railway station accessories

This purchase was not planned. I was buying something else at ArsTecnica and I needed to hit 50 to get free shipping. Decided to pick this set for less than €22.

Pola G 331745 is a collection of small railway station accessories. The box the set comes in features a usual Pola G packaging. The set is small so the box is not big, either. It measures 12'' x 8''.


Looking at the front of the box it might be not so clear what's really included. The set features nine elements:
  • a telephone box
  • two benches
  • an advertisement stand
  • a ticket machine
  • a post sign
  • a standing mailbox
  • a wall mailbox
  • a wall clock

After opening the package we find a lot of colourful parts, even more colourful stickers and a manual. Everything is protected from damage with some filling paper. No glue is included.


The parts are pretty big and once you take them out you may get an impression that there's a lot to do here. But this is just an impression - this is really a "one evening" set.


The set includes two elements that support interior lighting installation. The needed components are unfortunately not included. I've decided to make my own using LED strips and custom selected resistors.

So this is the roof of my telephone box:


And this is the inside of my wall clock:


As stated before, it does not take long to assemble all the structures. Working very slowly, I needed around 3 hours to finish them all. I've skipped the installation of German-flavoured stickers, as they don't really fit my layout.

Here's the finished telephone box:


The advertisement stand (without stickers):


The two benches. Those are not very study and seem like they could be easily broken. I will have to install them out of the kids' reach.


The ticket machine (which - without the provided stickers - is just a generic vending machine):


The standing mailbox:


The wall mailbox and the post sign. Those elements do not require any gluing but just appliance of some stickers. One reason to complain here could be that the stickers did not really fit the plastic elements that well. They had to be extra cropped on top of what was already done at the factory.


And the wall clock:


I've made some "localized" stickers for the ticket machine and the advertisements stand. They look quite well. I wonder how I can make them weather proof now...


And here's the complete set. Looks very good to me!


And since I have installed the interior lighting right away, I have to share this one extra photo, too. Those accessories are going to look fantastic in the dark!


Conclusion:
It is a very basic set with some very easy to build elements. Those elements are however elementary and any layout can benefit from them. I enjoyed building those and can't wait to install them on my layout...

Pros:
  • Very useful structures
  • Easy to build
  • Interior lighting ready
  • Reasonable price
Cons:
  • Lighting kits not included
  • Glue not included
  • Some elements very flimsy (the benches)
  • Some stickers don't match the target area

No comments:

Post a Comment